Thursday, April 9, 2009

It never rains but it pours...

Things are getting interestinger and interestinger on the employment front. I have received not one, but two, count 'em, TWO job offers this week. And get this...I didn't even apply for either job! WTF?! They both came to me out of the blue, at almost exactly the same time. The one with the bank, as a I mentioned in my previous post, was as the result of forwarding my resume to a former coworker from years back (the 90's) after running into her in a grocery store last fall. Her HR dept. emailed me last week while I was away with hubby on a business trip. It is a customer service type position in an industry I spent more than a decade working in, so I know that I'll be comfortable and will do well and will have the potential to work my way up again. The starting wage is decent and it's full-time with benefits, which we really need, since hubby is self-employed. The other one is with an employment agency that I've been doing some casual work for since the fall and one of the ladies there thought I would be a good fit for a role in their office and called to tell me about it on Monday. It is a Human Resources role which is what I've been studying part-time for the past two years, and have just completed my certificate in. It's what I want to do for a living! It's an entry level role mind you, but every HR job seems to require at least two years of experience and this would be amazing experience! The starting pay is just about the same as the other place is offering and I think I would really, really enjoy the job. The only thing is, it's only part-time. 17.5 hours a week, no benefits. Bummer! The manager there called to offer me the job this morning and I explained my dilemma. I told her that I really loved the job they were offering but needed to take the full-time job. She understood and asked, "if this were a full-time job, would you accept it?" I said yes, immediately and without hesitation. Then she said "let me look into this and see if there's anyway we can offer you something full-time. I will let you know either way by the end of the day." OMG! Really??? Now employers are fighting over me?! I could get used to this! I mean, it's a pretty good feeling after so much rejection to get two wonderful job offers in one week! It's really nice to feel wanted and valuable again in that respect. No matter what happens, I will cherish this feeling. I am feeling so grateful right now for being in this position! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Edit: so, the manager from the employment agency called me back! They are trying to work out a way to give me more hours. It would be "almost" full-time, working 3.5 hours a day M-F from 5-8:30 am (I know!) & then 7.5 hours a day on Sat & Sun from 7am-3pm. Yeah, I know, 7 days a week! But it would be temporary until the weekday position becomes full-time within a few months. I asked her if there would be benefits available and she said that she would find out for sure and get back to me on that. But...it is an amazing job opportunity in my chosen field!! And...THEY LIKE ME! THEY REALLY, REALLY LIKE ME! :) I will keep you posted with further updates! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE: I got the job!!! The manager called me back and they did some shuffling of hours for me to give me 32.5 hours a week working 5-10am Mon-Fri and 7am-3pm on Saturdays!! She asked if that would work for me and of course I said yes! I start next Thursday! I am SO excited!!! YES! YES! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

2 comments:

Russell said...

My guess is that you will need to just sit down, go through the offers you get and then decide which one to take! I have a strong feeling you will have plenty of opportunities to choose from!

Take care and good luck with this most interesting (and, yes, often frustrating!) process.

My experience has always been that the next job I get is always, always better than the one I left!

Take care.

Anna said...

Congratulations! Your persistence and positive thinking is paying off.

The universe always provides.