Thursday, January 15, 2009
No Blame, No Shame
Yes, I'm feeling a little bit better yet again today. Not completely back to normal, but things are dawning on me. That I need to focus more on appreciating what I have and appreciate this "down" time in my life cycle, so that I can better appreciate when I'm back on the up swing. I think I'm also learning valuable lessons about being less judgmental and more compassionate and not to be so quick to point fingers and vilify those who are down and out.
It's funny how we love to push down further those who are already going through difficult times. We want to believe that their situation is of their own making via their own bad, stupid, or immoral decision making. We want to believe this so that we can simultaneously believe that we would never make such bad, stupid, or immoral decisions, and therefore, we will never find ourselves facing those same negative situations in our own lives. That's kind of like burying your head in the sand, I think. The economy, like life, goes in cycles. Up and down. People lose their jobs. Through no fault of their own. Not because they were greedy and were making too much money, but because of other economic factors which caused society at large to stop buying their company's particular brand of product or service. People also get hurt or killed in accidents. Accidents happen. They are not always someone's fault, as much as we like to find blame. Who do we blame for the snowstorm or ice on the highway? God?
At any rate, I'm feeling a little more empowered today after doing more research on further career training. A little more excited about what life has to offer. I know it's not something that can come to me from anywhere but within myself. Intrinsic motivation, is what I've heard it called in some of my many business courses.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I work all day long with poor folk. My sister, who has never worked a day in her life, let alone with those who are disadvantaged, constantly talks about these people as if they are vermin. This pisses me off more than I can say.
I agree. My Dad thinks that street people are there because they "want" to be and that they could get off the street if they just wanted to do it badly enough. We have endless arguments over this. But I think he's held these attitudes too long to change. I only hope for him that he never has to find out just how wrong he is.
Post a Comment